Monday, November 15, 2010

Megatron Monday - The Way of the Gun

Special Delivery will be a week late, so instead, I'm going to be focusing on all the Megatrons.  Or the essense of Megatron, more specifically.  I've always been a big fan of Megatron just because of his power and intimidation.  While Starscream may be more popular because of his treachery or Soundwave because of his minions, Megatron's my favorite because of his sheer ruthlessness.  There's a reason he's the leader of the Decepticons, no doubt about it. 

Of course, since there's been so many of them, some stand out more than others.  Surely Beast Wars Megatron is a fan favorite due to his unrivaled cunning.  I don't think any Megatron has had the brilliance to formulate such plans or the guts to pull them off.  Hell, he even took over Cybertron (though I guess G1 Megatron did before the movie came out, I always seem to forget that).  Animated Megatron is another of my favorites for finally putting down Starscream, even if it didn't keep.

With the good, there's always the bad, and there's definitely a few lackluster Megatron's as well.  Robots in Disguise Megatron was supposed to be a powerhouse, yet left everything up to his flunkies, including the planning.  And all the Megatrons of the Unicron Trilogy are disappointing.

But overall, Megatron still is a high point in the Decepticon ranks and only limited by his troops and the required losses in children's shows and Hollywood movies.  In almost ever incarnation, I find myself hoping someone would write a darker storyline where Megatron actually wins (unless Shane McCarthy writes it, yuck).  Do I wish the general Megatron persona was different?  Yeah a bit, like treating his troops as more than just cannon fodder, though that only seems to show up in the comics.  But overall, he's still the best villain to come out of Saturday morning cartoons.  What other villain from the 80's could compare to Megatron?  Cobra Commander?  Too much of a wimp.  Miles Mayhem?  Too much like Wilfred Brimley.  Mumm-ra?  Too much like a Mexican wrestler.

So that's why I like Megatron; because I do.  Seriously, does any of this make sense?  Of course not.  It's a 33 year old guy talking about a kids' cartoon character.  Anyway, more modeling will be posted on Wednesday so come back then - at least most of that stuff can make sense.

No comments: