Monday, November 22, 2010

Megatron Monday - Special Delivery


Okay it's a week late, but here we go.  I've been collecting Megatron's for a long time, but not since the beginning so there's been quite a bit I've missed.  And there aren't a lot that have come out in the states either.  So I've looked online and picked up a few that have before now slipped through my fingers - Alternity Megatron (Black Edition), Legends Cybertron Megatron, and World's Smallest Transformers Megatron.
I'm not going to be doing full reviews of these, but I've had them all just under a week (Legends only arrived today).  I've got Transmetal Megatron coming too, but since I've had him before (lost him to GPS - Got eaten by a Puppy Syndrome) so there's no need to wait for him.
I am so happy to get these guys.  I've been looking online for Legends for a long time, but I've been afraid to get anything off the internet, especially eBay.  I had bought G1 reissue Megatron a long time ago, but he was someone I needed to have.  Anyway let's get started here.
Alternity Megatron here is pretty damn sweet.  I knew he was a bit smaller than Alternator scale, but I was shocked by exactly how small he is.  Even though he's smaller, he still packs a ton of detail and articulation.  He's certainly got the samurai look going for him with both swords, the loin cloth-looking thing, and the shoulder pads.  He's even got those blades on his wrists that give him some extra weapons, but where the hell is his cannon?  Prime kept his gun, but Megatron loses it?  Bullshit.
I do have to admit that he can pull off some epic poses with or without his swords.  He's got plenty of articulation in his feet giving him lots of possibilities for wide-legged poses.  I'm happy with the guy, even though I would have preferred to get the silver version (but I wasn't about to pay the extra $20 for him).  As cool as this figure is, he still doesn't make up for the fact that Megatron was totally left out of the Alternator line.
Legends Cybertron Megatron, like i said before, is one of my most wanted Megatrons.  Okay I goofed here, he's Galvatron, but I always hated the Megatron color scheme in Cybertron.  It's crazy that he gets a Galvatron upgrade, but instead of purple, he gets an original Megatron color scheme.  Anyway, he's a pretty good representation of Leader class Galvatron.  I'm pretty surprised by all the articulation he's got.  The only thing he's really missing is the elbow joints.  
I was really surprised here that Cybertron is so big.  Look at how much bigger he is than the other Megatrons!  I thought he was almost Scout class sized!  When I was first collecting Legends figures, all of the Cybertron figures had been repainted to the Classics line.  All of them except out guy Megalvatron!  What the hell?  They couldn't have repainted him and called him Dragstrip?  Dead End?  Any of the Stunticons?
Anyway, after transforming them all, he stands just a little taller than the rest of them.  He fits in nicely and is still one of the most articulated Legends figures.  I do have the same problem with Leader class Megalvatron - it's hard to balance the guy.  There's so many joints in his legs, but his lower leg and feet are so damn big that it's hard to get the feet flat.  Half the time he's just on the cusp of falling on his butt.
Last but not least, we've got WST Megatron.  Here he is against Mp Prime's Megatron pistol.  Can you tell the difference?  Yeah of course you can, but they're pretty damn close in size, which is astounding.  Besides a few colors, they're practically the same.  I said earlier that I have reissue Megatron, but he's still int he box, so there's no way to compare them.
 Here he is in robot mode with MP Megatron.  I'd show them both in gun mode to see how close they are, but there's no way I was about to try to transform MP Megatron.  Fuck that!  I can't believe they got that robot mode in such a tiny package.  I've never played with the original Megatron so I can't compare the two, but I wish the little guy had some tabs to peg the arms in the side of his torso.  Did the original have them, or did everything just kinda sit together and fall apart when he touch him?

Anyway, yeah these guys are the newest additions to my collection, which is getting way too big.  Honestly, once Transmetal gets here, I think I've got all the ones I need until Reveal the Shield shows up.  I guess I could get some Voyager movie figures.... and Activator... nah screw that, those movie toys can kiss my ass.

No comments: