Monday, October 4, 2010

Megatron Monday - Beast Wars Megatron


Today, I thought I'd be a bit nostalgic.  This is the first Megatron I ever bought, way back before I even started collecting Megatrons.  Okay, it's not actually the first one, I gave that one away, but I found it at a toy sale and picked it up again. 

Back when Beast Wars got started, we got our first peak at Optimus Prime and Megatron in a two-pack.  It was my first BW purchase, and I'm guessing almost everyone else's at the time.  I was pleased and disappointed at the same time.  Pleased because for the first time, we actually had a figure with a full range of articulation.  Ball and socket joints, baby!  I don't even know if I ever saw one before Beast Wars actually.  And spring-loaded transformation?  That didn't look like absoute crap?  Awesome!

I was underwhelmed by the fact that both figures were basic sized.  These were the leaders, they can't be this small!  Megatron was an alligator, really?  Optimus had swords but no guns?  I didn't know at the time that there would be Ultra Class sized versions, so sue me.  Anyway, I never got the chance to buy the first Ultra, so until Transmetal Megatron, this was my only Beast Wars leader.  Until I gave him away.  But I got him again, so let's review this bugger!

ROBOT MODE

That is a lot of green.  I am glad that the arms and legs are a much lighter and brighter shade than the rest of the body.  That giant alligator head on his torso looks pretty intimidating, especially with those deep red eyes.  He's got five sets or ball joints (shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, and knees) and one more in his neck, which unfortunately doesn't let him look up.  His feet are on a pivot though, and it causes some problems with posing.  The bottom of the feet are slightly rounded, but when the legs are spread, the figure stands on the very rounded sides of his feet and can't balance.  I was really lucky to get this pose to stay for one photo.

As you can see here, this Megatron comes with a pistol formed from his tail.  I think this is the first Megatron I had ever seen without a signature cannon.  I mean sure, this pistol is huge, but it's not the same as an arm or shoulder mounted cannon.

This doesn't quite make up for the omission, but I like it enough.  Plus, the wrist joint is pretty weak on this guy and he's always holding his gun like a pansy.  He passes the chest test with flying colors and can even scratch his head, but he fails my new test - the seat test!  He can't sit down because the alligator feet folded behind his calves and the alligator body hanging off his ass.  It's not that important of a test, but I'd hate to think he's got to stand on his throne because he'll slide out if he tries to sit in it.

ALLIGATOR MODE
Megatron's alt mode looks great for the first actually beast modes we've ever seen.  Before this, everything looked like a robot dinosaur or a robot lion.  But this looks like a regular, run-of-the-mill alligator, and I'm impressed with it.  He's still mostly a dark brownish-green, but there's more light green paint aps along his back.  I wish some had made it onto his head a bit, but I understand why they didn't.  Sure there's hardly any articulation, but they've got it where it matters - his mouth!  This guy can chomp the shit out of anything in his way.  Well, anything less than a centimeter tall.
Sam never looked more comfortable!  So there you have it, our first glimpse into the Beast Wars before Megatron got turned into a T-Rex so they can pull off the King Kong angle between him and Prime.  I never thought I'd miss this guy much after I stupidly gave it to a girlfriend of mine, but I was surprised to find him, and I'm glad I picked him up again.

No comments: