Friday, February 20, 2009

Distractions

Okay so school's back in session and I'm stuck in the middle of homework. My curresnt class is 3D Character Modeling (or something to that effect) so I'm working in Max to build my own human. It's coming along, though I don't look forward to doing the mapping. I am having trouble keeping interested in it though. I don't think I like character modeling. I'm not having any trouble with the actual work, I just think I'd prefer asset production: vehicles, furniture, weapons, etc. I feel better knowing exactly what area I'd like to work in and character modeling just isn't it.



Unfortunately, my real problem is in the class itself. My school has a habit of cannibalizing its students by hiring them to teach. I don't mind so much if the school hired people on years after they've graduated and had a successful career in the industry, but unfortunately, my teacher in this class only graduated here a year or two ago and has never gotten any real experience in the field, besides a few side project with friends. That's not enough lean on while teaching a class. On top of that, he's using tutorials online, instead of teaching us from his own personal knowlegde. I can find tutorials online without spending $50,000 on tuition. On top of that, we have one assignment in class - build the model. There aren't even any intermediate deadlines; finish the head, finish the hands, etc. My grade depends on one single project, pass or fail. I'm more than halfway through class and the teacher is just now checking to see how we're doing. Too bad I won't get a grade on that progress though. Now, I have no problem with the teacher himself; he seems to know what he's doing and he's nice enough. The class (and maybe the school) just needs an overhaul to be more effective.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does this guy have anything to do with the prototytans? Or is he just the guy you are working on in class? You're ideas are good! I can't wait until you are rich and famous and I can say, "I knew him when he was nothing!" lol Love ya, Man!