Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Legends

I'm not a huge Transformers collector - I don't go out and buy every figure from any of the lines and I'm generally turned off by Hasbro's insistency to repaint every figure they've made. Before last year, almost every Transformer purchase since G1 has been a Megatron (and I still didn't buy every one they've released - stupid Titaniums). This last year has changed that a bit because I'm engaged to a special girl that's latched onto my collection and picked up most of the main Animated line - except the repaints, of course.

But since the 25th Anniversary, I've found myself rabidly collecting the Legends class. I even got the Target exclusive 5-packs. The toys are cheap and really well done for their size (most of them at least); they usually have decent articulation and more elaborate transformations than just flipping the chest over the head and the legs up. Some of them are better designed than others (I'm looking at you Vector Prime/Scattershot), but I'm surprised to say my favorite so far is Wheelie. That's right, that same little guy we all used to hate, with the giant flip-up face cover and his gangly arms has evolved into an awesome figure. He may not have the best articulation or the most involved transformation, but he certainly has a great balance of both of them. He has a transformation similar to Legends Brawn, but without the letdown of his legs visible on the roof and his feet sticking down below the tires. His feet fold in for vehicle mode. It's amazing.

So Wheelie's come a long way and, in truth, the 25th Ann. Legends line has done the same for a lot of the Minibots from over 22 years ago. I would have liked to see a few more of the first wave get updates (Specifically Huffer), but it's certainly nice to see those little guys get some big love.

1 comment:

LEon said...

Rather rare to come across TF legend collector. I have a movie legend Optimus prime myself actually. :)